Thursday 13 November 2008

Cyclamen, contracts and cake

Aren't these cyclamen just gems? My camera doesn't do them justice. Mr M planted them in pots by the front door a couple of weeks ago and they are just the tonic on a grey, grizzly day. Always there to say hello or goodbye. They're such graceful, swan-like flowers, bowing as though greeting the Queen. I think the cerise ones, below, are my favourite.

The last week has flown by in a blur, and this morning I signed the contract with my former employer with more clauses than Father Christmas. It is finally over and I can now move on. I feel as though a great weight has been lifted and replaced with awe and excitement at the unknown.

To celebrate I decided to bake a cake. I've been craving a pineapple upside down cake for absolutely ages, but really wanted to make a loaf cake. So, here it is...a photo and a recipe.

Pineapple upside-down and round-the-wrong-way loaf cake

112g butter, softened
112g caster sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
100g glace cherries
small tin of pineapple rings, drained and chopped

22cm loaf tin, greased and lined with greaseproof paper

Heat oven to 180C
Beat the butter and sugar together until pale, then add the eggs, one by one. Make sure you mix well after each egg.
Add the flour, milk and vanilla extract and mix until you have a smooth mixture.
[Or stick everything, except the cherries and pineapple chunks, into a food processor - you lucky things!!!]
Stir through the glace cherries and pineapple chunks, and pour the mixture into the loaf tin. Don't forget to bang the tin to release air bubbles.
Pop in the oven until golden, and the knife comes out clean. Takes about 50 minutes, but start poking from 45.

It caramelises on the bottom by itself, so no need for the traditional layer of sugar.

Scrumptious. I don't think it will be hanging about in our kitchen for very long...

2 comments:

  1. Ooh I looked away for a moment and so much has happened! The chicken with lentils looks amazing! Oh and you're a housewife! Congratulations! Enjoy the moment! Recharge and just think- if we get snow you get to play snowballs and make snowmen rather than having to rush to work! Hurrah! t.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - recharging is exactly the word. I have slept and slept. I have 'temporary housewife' status acording to Mr M. It almost requires a badge! C x

    ReplyDelete