Sunday 10 May 2009

A spot of cake

in the garden on a sunny afternoon is always rather jolly. And even better when eating it with our soon-to-be-wed friends. I didn't fancy (gasp!) making Nigella's Victoria Sponge because I'm making one next weekend for my niece's ceremony so had a quick flick through the old faithful to see if anything caught my eye. I was instantly drawn to her Rosemary Loaf Cake mainly because we bought a new pot of rosemary last weekend for the garden and I've been cooking with it like mad, plus it sounded a little different. It took rather longer than the anticipated hour to cook, but no worries there - it was delicious. The rosemary adds a real zing, a little like fresh ginger or lemon zest.

And whilst we're on the subject of baking - aren't these old tins beautiful? Mum very kindly gave them to Mr M for his birthday to encourage his bread making. They are almost too fabulous to use. Only almost, mind you!

Right, I'm off to do some more cooking. Tonight - linguine with sardines and chilli. Ciao!

8 comments:

  1. Oh that cake looks yummy!
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks so yummy. I love the idea of rosemary in a loaf cake. Really must give that a try. And I must admit I'm lusting after those tins! K x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume there will be no cake left for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are going for an upgrade from Domestic Novice to Domestic Goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been eyeing up that cake for ages, but wasn't sure, might have to make it now as we too have overflowing rosemary plants. Any excuse for a cake!

    I love those cake tins too, I'm very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Not sure about the DG title just yet - cakes are about the only thing I can do (apart from the sinking fairy cakes last year - ahem!), but it was yummy - do have a go. The idea of rosemary in a cake does sound a little odd but it really does work, and smells wonderful whilst it cooks. The cake tins were my grandmother's.

    And I'm afraid, Mr M, that there is indeed no cake left for you - the leftovers went to work today and were devoured by the gannets. I'll make you one when you get back. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tins (and jolly tasty looking cake too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh I have often wondered about that cake, I might just give it a try now x

    ReplyDelete