Friday 20 August 2010

Hydrangeas

Our Hydrangeas are glorious at the moment, each a slightly different take on the next, as their heads gently nod in the breeze.
Colours as dreamy as an eyeshadow palette from a bygone era.
It's only a matter of time before they move into their faded, vintage phase.
We have both mophead and lacecap flowers. Lacecap is such a pretty name, don't you think? One day I will grow a climbing Hydrangea. There is a house with a walled garden on the way to the river which has a magnificent one that twists and turns over the gate. I always linger when I take that path. The owners rarely dead head and so it retains its blooms in their final fragile brown, paper form long into the winter.

On a completely different note, I can report that the morning radio switch is paying off. Up and out of the flat by 8:05. Buying lunch in a deserted supermarket before 8:30 is oddly rewarding.

Have a lovely weekend.

5 comments:

  1. The first picture is amazing! I didn't know there were climbing varieties. How interesting.

    And I too love shopping in an empty Waitrose!

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos the one of the hoverfly fantastic!
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hydrangeas are one of my favorite flowers. Mine are all past there prime now and turning into that "vintage" look.

    I once tried to grow a climbing one but my yard just wann't right for it (or our climate, I think).

    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gorgeous - I so love hydrangeas. Ours seemed to fade very early but is now a pretty coppery shade. I must remember to put more in the garden next year.

    Fingers crossed they're still good to by wholesale on 18th September - I'm dying to have some in our table arrangements at the wedding! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hydrangeas are lovely. the second picture could have been taken in my Garden!!! The last Full Head on mine is just about to fade out now...yet still looks so beautiful

    ReplyDelete