Sunday 24 June 2012

Meringue merriment

Shall I let you into a little secret? I've never made meringues before. I've had grand intentions but always found a reason not to make them. You see, I've always thought of them as being tricky and a tad laborious.

With the in-laws due for Sunday lunch, I thought I'd have a go. I was intending to use a recipe from newly purchased Rachel Khoo's 'The Little Paris Kitchen' but it used lemon (not great for the ol' citrus allergy), so ended up following one from Eric Lanlard's 'Home Bake' with a dash of vinegar instead. In hindsight, I should have just substituted the lemon with the vinegar, but we live and learn.

Oh my, I can't believe how easy meringues are to make. Okay, so you do need to set aside two hours, but oh it's so worth it. How satisfying it is to swirl the mixture onto the baking paper. And how hard it is to not open the oven, even for a moment, once they're in. 

Popped in an airtight box overnight we had them for pudding today, together with whipped cream and apricot compote made from a bag of sweet, smelling apricots from the market. Think Rachel Khoo's Mont Blanc with a bright orange topping instead of chestnut. The meringues were divine - light and fluffy with a soft marshmallow-y centre. 

These are now firmly on my must-make-more list. I can't believe I waited this long to try them.  

And I know you shouldn't, but licking the spoon was like eating Fluff

10 comments:

  1. There's something so satisfying in the making of meringues, and yours look glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't suppose I could persuade you to take off the horrible blogger word verification thingummy could I? Cannot tell you how much pain they are causing me - I thought I was quite a good reader, but it seems not....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting - had no idea it was on there! Will see what I can do...

      Delete
  3. I am also a meringue virgin - there is something a little scary about producing them I think. I do ,however, adore eating them and always remember my mother making them as the 'spare' dessert for her dinner parties in the 70's. She would always make two desserts in case the guests were fussy! My sister and I would gorge on the leftover meringues, thickly sandwiched with fresh cream, for breakfast the next day. Yours look v beautiful - are you sure they are easy? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were - have a go! I can't believe I waited so long. I made mine with an electric hand whisk, glass bowl and metal spoon for the dolloping. My mother still makes two puddings, just in case! She used to make little ones for us when we were small, whenever she made her lemon meringue pie. I still haven't conquered grown up poached eggs...

      Delete
  4. Your meringue looks lovely, always such a glamorous desert I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cook meringues over night (hot blast for a bit in oven & then switch off oven & leave meringues in the slowly cooling oven over night for a long low cook...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love meringues, especially when they're chewy in the middle. Confession time. I once ate TWELVE straight off. I know, I know.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your meringues look lovely. My aunt used to make pavlovas with the most gorgeous gooey-centred meringue, and I have never mastered the soft centre so I will try Eric Lanlard's method next time I make some.

    ReplyDelete