Tuesday 15 April 2014

Morning chorus

I've been waking to the dawn chorus of late - in part thanks to Miss P. It's a delight to listen to the different calls and chirrups as the world begins to wake. Our road is quiet with no through traffic, silence which amplifies the crescendo in the early hours. The cacophony of sound reminds me of my somewhat Swallows and Amazons childhood staying with my Grandparents on the bank of the Thames. The birds would swoop and call as they flew in and out of the roof directly above my room - somewhat magical when you're small. 

Being on the edge of woodland means that we get a brilliant mix of wildlife - deer, woodpeckers, owls, toads and our lovely little nuthatch. We've noticed that the great tits and blue tits are no longer flitting from feeder to feeder - nesting season has begun. 

1 comment:

  1. I've been hearing the dawn chorus this week, I seem to be woken by it much earlier than usual, better than an alarm clock though!

    ReplyDelete