Wednesday 6 August 2014

And then they knocked through

Are you bored with the building posts yet? We've got another 8 weeks of this to go! This is our view currently - well, it was yesterday. Today that pile of red bricks just behind the mop have been built into a little pier to hold the house up - just a minor detail. This shot really does show the current flooring and lighting in all its glory. We've got lots of pointless pipes that need removing, and useful ones that need hiding. Just to your right is our inherited oven which has been rustling up those super quick suppers. Then we have a comedy fridge combo - the original that came with the house is definitely not ozone friendly but is helpfully our wine fridge doubling up as a work surface. Next to that is our fridge freezer which has started to make a dreadful noise - perhaps it overheard our discussions about American fridge freezers, but actually I think it was more that it just couldn't cope with the heat. Sadly, its days are numbered for we've bought our new fridge freezer and our first ever oven, all of our own choosing. We've indulged. In the same way that weddings create bridezillas, I'm afraid kitchen extensions create appliancezillas. We've gone for a glitzy Rangemaster with disco lights and a ginormous fridge. On the plus side, we were given a great discount by a local retailer who are very kindly holding onto all the bits until we're absolutely ready, unlike an online purchase where next day delivery is so unhelpful. And don't even get me started on taps - who knew there were so many to choose from. At least we've got the sink nailed. But I can't for the life of me find classic brushed stainless steel knobs and cup handles that I like anywhere. I have become such a kitchen bore. I bore myself.

4 comments:

  1. I found renovations stressful but it sounds like you're taking it in your stride. The wine fridge sounds like it must help! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love renovation posts, there are never too many for me! We did our kitchen about a year and a half ago, all the cupboards had brushed steel handles but the only tap I could find was £250, which I just couldn't justify. I searched high and low but then found a supplier on ebay who had loads. We were very dubious as they were so cheap (£20 - £60 ish) (we even bought two to be on the safe side!) Both taps are in use, one in the kitchen and one in the laundry and I love them both - they're a perfect match! It might be worth a look on ebay for handles etc?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bought my kitchen door knobs on Ebay from a lovely lady who had salvaged them from an old kitchen. She kindly sent me an extra one separately at additional cost to her. I told her not to incur the extra cost, lucky she did because I miscounted and needed one more. Kindness of strangers, priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No! Loving every dusty moment - all the thrill of renovation without the expense.

    ReplyDelete