Monday 26 July 2010

Making your own confetti is easy!

[Fresh]
So, the plan on Friday was to make my own confetti using this how-to and a single rose stem. Sadly all of our roses have finished flowering so I had to resort to the local florist and a stem that was on its way out.

And look how it turned out - a bowl of crispy, pink confetti ready to be bagged and thrown. And all for £1.50.*
[Crispy]
  1. Remove the petals from your rose and place as many as you can, without them touching one another, on a piece of kitchen roll on a plate.
  2. Put the plate in the microwave for 1 minute on high.
  3. Take the plate out of the microwave and turn each petal over.
  4. Pop back in the microwave for another minute on high, keeping an eye on them. If they start to brown, take them out.
  5. Put them on a baking tray lined with kitchen roll and spread out to cool.
  6. Repeat the above steps for the rest of your petals.
  7. Throw them.
I popped mine in the airing cupboard with some kitchen roll on top and they were still crispy the next morning

I discovered a couple of things during the process -
  1. Don't put the rose petals directly on the plate as they will develop a shiny surface and possibly stick.
  2. The petals brown at the base, but this can easily be removed when you break them up for confetti.
  3. Don't put them in the microwave for 4 minutes - there will be nothing left. I had already thought this was a bit barking so managed to save myself some petals by being cautious and just doing 1 minute blasts.
Obviously, I couldn't take my confetti to the wedding in a blue, freezer bag. I needed something a little nicer, so I quickly made a bag with some greaseproof paper and my Japanese Liberty tape.
And as I was apparently having a Saturday shouldn't-I-be-getting-ready craft morning, I made a card for the happy couple.
I'm sure it looked better than that on Saturday. Oh dear. Anyway, still rather chuffed that the free chic lit book that is in my craft box for chopping happened to have a wedding at the end and some of the vows... You couldn't have planned it better.

Now. A final word on this confetti lark. It's really, really easy. And quick. And addictive. Even if you're not attending a wedding, I say microwave your blooms, open a bottle of fizz and fling them around until your hearts content. Then give the lawn a mow and they'll be gone. Just like that. Or even better, do it in your local park!

Lock up your flowers, neighbours!

*I know. I was robbed. It was one of those situations where it had got to the point where I couldn't say no. Anyway...

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for all your additional tips. It's so good to benefit from someone else's experience rather than just the basic instructions. I'll be definitely making some homemade confetti as a special thing for my Mum to throw (especially as I know she will forget to buy some!) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nifty!! Love the bag you made with the greaseproof paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! will the confetti last a couple of months? I'm having my wedding in late summer but there are roses everywhere now. Will the confetti keep that long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - I'm not 100% sure. Sorry. They certainly last a couple of weeks - lots were made for my best friend's wedding last year and were fine. They were kept in an airtight container, so that might be the answer...

      Delete