Tuesday 22 September 2009

X marks the spot

The funny thing about doing this alphabet is that you start to get word freeze - particularly with the tricky little letters towards the end. On my train journey this evening, I was trying to think of all the X words I know.

Hmm. X-ray. X-youknowwhat, xerox, xenophobe... Pretty slim pickings. Oh dear.

Not to be deterred, I thought I'd cheat and see what the dictionary had to offer. A whole load of words which, quite frankly, I have never heard of and would suggest that I am actually rather more intellectual than I actually am. That said - did you know that a xerophyte is a clever way of saying cactus.

Oh, and that quite a few of us fall under the slightly more positive category of xenophile for admiring 'foreign styles, manners and people' a la The Sartorialist and Little Brown Pen.

p.s. I'd forgotten that I had become a little obsessed with signage and letters in New York in the hope that I could collect shots of the entire alphabet. Started to struggle, got distracted, long forgotten - but am tempted to complete the collection. Oh, and the colour match was an absolute fluke!

3 comments:

  1. I'd been waiting to see what you would do with X! Must be the trickiest one, so now the last two will seem easy :) K x

    ReplyDelete