Or can you? Why, yes. I believe you can. By having said strawberries and cream on a vanilla sponge base. Oh my. So pleasing.
Sponge base - serves 8
125g soft butter
125g caster sugar
125g self raising flour
1tsp vanilla essence
3-4 dsrtspn milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the vanilla essence and the first egg. Mix, then add roughly half of the flour. Stir until smooth.
- Add the second egg, mix, then add the remaining flour. Once the mixture is smooth add the milk to loosen.
- Pour the mixture into the the baking tray and level out with the back of a spoon or palette knife.
- Pop in the oven until golden brown.
- Leave to cool.
142ml double cream
2 dsrtspn Greek yoghurt
A little icing sugar (I use a funny tea strainer thing as my sieve because I'm lazy - probably equates to roughly 1 tsp)
2 handfuls of strawberries - chopped
- Whisk the double cream until there is a slight visible drag in the bowl.
- Sprinkle a little of the icing sugar over the top and gently fold in the Greek yoghurt until combined.
- Spread over the sponge with a palette knife and sprinkle the strawberries on top. Dust the top with a little icing sugar and devour.
Clear as mud, eh? Tasty mud, mind you.