Wednesday 12 November 2008

Lovely lentils...seriously...

Cold crisp air, white dragons breath, steaming cups of tea, Blue purring, crunchy leaves underfoot in red, green and yellow, lime green parakeets screeching, adorable long tailed tits chirruping and a low warm orange sun - all in all a delightful Wednesday. As I'm officially a housewife for now, I thought I'd have a go at Tana Ramsey's chicken with a red lentil sauce for supper - a winter warmer so vibrant in hue it was the perfect end to such a colourful day. Off I trotted to Waitrose - who were out of red lentils. Seriously. Que?! A quick dash to Sainsburys sorted out the shopping list. Turkey substituted the chicken (special offer - 1kg of turkey breast for £6 - most of which went into the freezer for a rainy day), american long grain rice replaced the basmati, and celery salt and cayenne pepper were added to the mix for taste. I skipped pushing the mix through a sieve with the back of the spoon - tedious - so got the masher out and pounded a little. Used Mr M's homemade harissa paste that brought a wonderful depth to the flavour. A scrummy dish for £3 with enough sauce left over for another meal, washed down with a lovely cabinet shiraz and the thumbs up from Mr M who doesn't often do rice. It was the first time I'd ever cooked lentils and I was pleasantly surprised - easy, creamy, fragrant and tasty. I'm looking forward to using up the leftover sauce - most probably with chunks of butternut squash and smoky bacon - and discovering other lentil delights. Any ideas?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment