Monday 7 March 2011

Sultanas

I'd forgotten how much I like sultanas. I'd had some lurking in the cupboard following that delicious carrot cake and decided to throw them into the standard fairy cake batch for tea with Mrs R and Master R on Saturday afternoon. Drizzled with Royal Icing, they were scrumptious. One bite and I was transported back to my Grandmother's kitchen, delving into her larder - a deep cupboard at waist height under the stairs - that went on and on, and always had a cake or two waiting to be nibbled.

How was your weekend? I went to a jumble sale - something that I haven't done in years. Times have changed - I'm sure we didn't used to queue or that people were quite so rude, but I still managed to get a nice pile of books and a couple of shirts for bunting. On Sunday, I finished Miss L's wedding invitation and made hot sausage sandwiches for Mr M and his friends after their Thames cycle ride - training for London to Brighton has begun in earnest. Miss P spent today rolling in dirt baths - she still feels a tad grim and sticky despite several brushes and 'washes' - and judging by her licking face she's regretting her choice of bath too.

3 comments:

  1. They look glorious all lined up! I never seem to have sultanas in the house - it always seems to be raisins. If I had a larder like your Granny, I'd find shelf space for them for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made sultana buns last weekend! I like to put some mixed spice in mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to see some bog standard fairy cakes in this age of ornate cup cakes. That picture is great! x

    ReplyDelete