Sunday 13 February 2011

C is for carrot cake


After a herumphy moment at Bill's yesterday, when I realised I couldn't have a slice of their delicious walnut cake with my coffee due to the rather odd ingredient of orange juice, I concluded that some baking was in order on my return home. Having rediscovered Pret's carrot cake (made with pineapple juice) last week, I decided to have a go myself. I've made Nigella's carrot cupcakes before, but never a large cake. As I'm slowly working my way through Home Baking, I thought I'd have a go at Eric's version. It's always odd making a cake with oil rather than butter - it just feels wrong, but it really does mean that you get a fantastically moist* cake. I opted for Nigella's cream cheese icing which seemed to be one of the few that didn't require butter. It was in the oven for an extra 20 minutes, and is absolutely delicious. Even Miss P agrees - ahem - a certain someone discovered that she too likes carrot cake with cream cheese icing. An extended face washing was deemed necessary. Little monkey.

Hope you had a lovely weekend!

*Utterly juvenile but this word still makes me giggle.

4 comments:

  1. your giggle made me giggle! yummy looking cake! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny what cat's will enjo eating. My husband's old cat used to eat Pringles and doughnuts. Our Fluffy Cat has been known to indulge in baked bean sauce and some fishy batter! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forget - are you highly allergic to oranges? I never realised their juice went into cake...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in a production of Vagina Monologues and we had much giggling over the word 'moist' - which when you consider the other far mnore naughty words in the show was really terribly juvenile!

    ReplyDelete